Saturday, February 19, 2011

Training walk number 1

So a nice little training walk in the drizzle. Yum! This is where the training really has to start. 6 weeks and counting. . . . 


Thought I'd better try out my new rucksack and boots and walk some strength into my legs.

It turned out to be a very drizzly and muddy 10 miles of squelch.To my shock and horror, my legs didn't want to work when I got out of the car on getting home! After just 10 miles! Oh very dear! I'd better get training harder or I'm in serious trouble in April!

 Here's some pictures.

Yes, I really did do the hike! 

 And the clouds were just about skimming the tops of the trees.

But just in case I had forgotten, here's proof that spring is nearly here.

And more proof. . . 

Yup! I really was there. 
I realised my camera balances really well on fence posts and has a self-timer!

Seemed pretty at the time.


Turns out I had gone too far along the North downs way and though it was reassuring to see the 'tombstone' below, it was also a complete red-herring. I had to back-track a quarter of a mile! Drat! I wonder what someone chiselled out of the stone in both places? Kilometres perhaps?

 It was far to wet and boggy to put my rucksack down on the ground so had lunch 'on a style' just near here. To my surprise, after not having seen a soul all day, another lonely walker came tramping out of the woodland the other way; and wanted to get over the style. Timing! Life is all timing! I said 'Hi!', he looked at my sandwich, muttered 'Nice!' and carried on walking. Have I joined a club for the socially challenged? Suddenly I'm feeling uncomfortable!

I have not idea what this was all about. I think I strayed into a mountain biking circuit since there were other similar locations all around!

And this is what it was like an awful lot of the time. Boot-sucking, squelching mud! Slippery and very hard to wade through! Is this really fun?



By the time I past these little chaps it was gone 5pm and was getting dark. They had gone to sleep for the night! I should most certainly have got started sooner!

Clouds hugging the hills I just came from. I'd about had enough anyway! Time for home.





No comments:

Post a Comment